Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Learning

It's always amazing to me to watch a child learn a new skill. Especially when they are ready for it. I love watching them overcome the seemingly insurmountable obstacles whether they are physical or mental to reach the next level of learning and doing. It's also neat to think that once they learn something, they won't go back to not knowing it. I love this capacity we have as humans to keep learning and growing and developing. The boys and I recently met a crow that had learned to say some words. It was so unbelievable to hear the crow saying words! I have heard parrots before but never crows--they are just so common, it's hard to believe they could be that smart! Ever since seeing that crow, I look at all the crows around my house differently. Instead of just annoying cawing fiends, they actually have some potential within them! I think it's taught me to look for the potential in myself as well as others, although it's kind of a silly example.

Tommy is really in that stage of life right now where he is "catching on" to many things. The other day we sat down to do some puzzles together and he finally seemed to grasp what I meant by looking for the corners. He was so pleased with himself when he did some of the puzzles on his own. Yesterday we bought him a bike helmet and new shoes and maybe that had to do with him finally catching on to how to pedal a bicycle. He had a look of determination mixed with a pleased smile that was incredibly fun to watch. I couldn't stop taking pictures of him, as you can see below:









3 comments:

  1. So cute!!! Have you read Barnaby Rudge? There's a really cool talking crow in that. Always making stant statements of doom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeh, I just read BB and thought it was a raven but didn't know either could talk. There is a great discussion about the tacit knowledge of skills like riding a bike in Polanyi's "Personal Knowledge" you would find very relevant to the theme you've addressed in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like I've got some reading to do! :-)

    ReplyDelete