On Monday I drove to Lethbridge three times. It is a 25 minute drive one way. It was a crazy day. The second time in, I took William to the eye doctor. It was just him and me in the Saturn, and as we pulled away from James' office and I handed him some snacks, he started getting excited about our trip. On the way we didn't talk much, just enjoyed each others company, and he asked me a few things that came to his mind like "can I roll down my window? How many minutes is it from here to the eye doctor?" His big hope (and mine too) was that we would have time after the appointment to go to Toys R Us and have him blow all his allowance that he's been saving up since before Christmas. I warned him that we might be waiting for a long time (we usually do) and that it might not happen. Very Will-like, he accepted this as a possibility, but continued to hope. When we walked into the office, I wish I could have captured the look of pure excitement that came into his face. His whole face lit up as he turned to me and we exchanged a quiet, gleeful glance--I signed us in--then we sat down next to each other and he whispered, "No One Else Is Here Mom!" As we left the office (a mere thirty minutes later), he asked so sweetly, "Do you think there's time to go to the toy store?" We spent a good forty five minutes in there, looking at every possibility for his money (Thank goodness we could skip the entire "pink" section in the middle of the store) and finally found something he was happy with.
The happiest moment of my date with Will came as we were halfway home. He was sitting with a grin on his face, meditating as he often does, and then he said, "Mom, it's been a really long time since I went on a date with just you and me! I've been with Dad and Ryrie, but not just you!" And then as my heart was warming and filling he added, "during school I was really hoping there would be time to go to the toy store, and there was! That was so great!" I think I have to say after that experience, dates with kids are extremely important events and must be treated as such by me.
By the way, I considered posting a second version of "Pile O' Dishes" yesterday--only it would have been a "before" shot. I decided I didn't want to frighten you all about my unsanitary and SCARY dirty dishes pile. It seriously took an hour to do. That was three days' worth...aren't you glad I spared you the picture?
You have got some sweet, sweet boys on your hands, Rach. I love reading about all the heartwarming things they say.
ReplyDeleteOne-on-one dates are the best. This is a sweet one.
Actually, I find myself yearning for ANY quality family time we can get these days since Weston is so busy with school. We are going to the Baltimore Aquarium together tomorrow and I can hardly wait.
"Dates" with your boys are the best. When our boys were littler, Mike and I would alternate, taking one a month. We called it "boy night" and they LIVED for that one special night with mom or dad. Batting cages, mini-golf, painting plates, shopping, a movie, or just going to the park to swing on the swings and play on the playground toys at the elementary school...it didn't matter. What mattered was the "time" we spent with them. That's really what they craved..that one on one time with mom or dad. Great memory makers!
ReplyDeleteThat is honestly so sweet. And inspiring. I want to start doing this with my boys. But in any free time, I'm always wanting my OWN dates with Sam (selfish) (or not, after all "the best thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother" . . . :) )----anyway, I just need to find a way to do both. Because I think you're so right, it's important time.
ReplyDeleteThat William is one sweet boy! Caleb was just telling me what a nice time he had with his cousins from Canada. Thanks for raising such a good bunch then blessing all of our lives with them. Give them a big hug and snowy kiss from their cousins in UT!
ReplyDelete