Sunday, February 16, 2014

Selective Deafness

Our middle two children have been through an interesting phase lately.  Selective deafness, I like to call it.  It started with Owen over Christmas.  He claimed he couldn't hear anything that was said to him.  In fact, he looked like he couldn't--impassive face, no flicker of recognition in his eyes or body language, nothing.  However, when something was said that he wanted to hear, he somehow heard it!  Go figure.   We lived through several annoying days--was it weeks?--of this until one day it just disappeared, and just like that, Owen could hear again!  Soon after, without warning, Tommy became deaf.  The tape that he listened to at night had to be turned up to an almost intolerable level, and in order to communicate with him, one had to shout.  It isn't pleasant to shout at someone, especially because Georgie would get a concerned look on his face and ask, "Why are you mad at Tommy Mom?"  I think it's wearing off now, but I'm holding my breath. Maybe George will be the next victim!!


One of the most interesting dress up outfits Owen has ever come up with

More on Owen--he recently purchased (with our help) the Percy Jackson series.   Before I could decide if I really wanted him to read them, he started and has finished one a week ever since.  He loves to read.  I've been reading him Harry Potter at night, so he's getting a double dose.  Sometimes reading takes the place of doing jobs and practicing piano, but for the most part he's got pretty great self control.  Actually, seeing him curled up with a book on the couch makes me quite happy and reminds me of someone I used to be...and still am when I get the chance.  :-)

Owen and Tommy got excited about playing in snow indoors the other day, when it was too cold outside, and George told them all about the idea we got when we went to stay and play in Raymond one afternoon.  They made snowmen and decorated them and made a big mess.  It was awesome!  Don't think I've ever thought of doing mini snowmen before.  


I think those are the snowman's eyeballs on the plate...
Owen was really excited about his Kub Kar rally this year.  Last year his car didn't do so hot, so this year James and Owen worked hard and got a second opinion on the wheels and it paid off.  Owen won the "Car of the Future" award and placed 1st or 2nd in most of his races.  He was happy.


This is the top view--it looks kind of like a skateboard ramp from the side.
Here are some neat facts about Owen:
He has his scripture board memorized (the one I made him for Christmas--he's the first boy to do this)
He has all 13 articles of faith memorized
He sings like an angel
He has befriended a severely handicapped boy at school and is his special helper.  He is sweet and natural around him.  One of his teachers--she's LDS--said Owen is a great member of the class and a great member of the Church.  Another helper in the class told James (he's an institute student) that he knew Owen was LDS before he knew he was related to James.  He said he had a light about him.
He loves to perform on the piano for his friends at school.
He gives great hugs.
He has a very contagious laugh.
He has a great amount of empathy for others and isn't afraid to express it.  Last night we watched some of the NBA skills competition and he kept saying he felt sorry for the "other guy."
He makes a mean smoothie
He has pictures of animals on his wall that he's drawn, and he's titled it "Owen's Zoo."
He stitched a scripture onto cloth, which is also on his wall.
He has started writing in his journal on a regular basis.
He loves to give his Dad neck rubs at night while they cuddle together.  On Valentine's, when I put him to bed, he offered me a "special Valentine's neck rub."  It was awesome!
He's great at games and puzzles and sticking to a task when others lose interest.
He can't wait to go fishing with James.  When James brought home some trout he caught ice fishing with the YM, Owen and Tommy were the first to want to help gut them.
He still has outbursts of anger and tears that are quite loud.  :-)
Owen finally purchased a Rainbow Loom (he's been saving and planning for one for quite some time).  He has spent hours on it already.  The first thing he did after setting it up and reading the instructions was to make a bracelet for everyone in the family first, before he made one for himself.  He then went on to make many many more for everyone.
Rainbow Loomer--just getting started


the trout

Latest on Tommy:
Tommy has recently discovered some long-lost cassette tapes that the boys used to listen to.  His favourite is a story tape which includes quite a few Aesop's fables on it--The Tortoise and the Hare, The Lion and the Mouse, and the Crow and the Pitcher.  The storyteller is very entertaining, and the tape is quite long, so it usually keeps him up for awhile.  Especially because it is turned up so loud, as per the Deaf thing.  Anyway, he's really quite cute to watch while he's listening.  He acts out the stories in his bed with his stuffies, and he's pretty much got every line memorized.  Actually, so does George.  The other day, George was supposed to be getting dressed while I was, and I came into his room and he'd done nothing.  I asked why he was so slow, and he responded, "Because I'm a Tortoise!!"

Tommy is really taking off on his reading.  He enjoys it and he's learning to read with expression.  The other day he read "Just Me and Grandpa" (one of those cute Mercer Meyer books) and laughed so hard he cried on some of the pages.  I love his sense of humour.  He just giggles and giggles at things.  He's also really taken off on piano.  He memorizes everything he plays--sometimes before he's learned to read the notes--and remembers the songs for a long time after.  I enjoy watching him sit down at the piano and play for the sheer pleasure of it (sometimes, not always).  He likes to figure tunes out as well.  He and I are going to perform at school for his class next week, and he's been talking about that for a long time.  

Tommy is Georgie's idol.  Sometimes this is good, sometimes he takes advantage of it.  Sometimes he will surprise me by being so sweet to George.  Other times it seems they will never get along.  Owen and Tommy sometimes fight over who gets to be on Georgie's good side.  They try to convince George to take sides.  He's pretty clueless about it all, but he will go along with it for awhile and then switch allegiance at the last minute.
Tommy and I were reading a Franklin book about Franklin's new baby sister.  Tommy pointed out that sometimes he doesn't like being a big brother and sometimes he does.  He showed me how on the page that shows a picture of Franklin being angry with his sister and hiding his favourite toy from her there is also a picture that Franklin drew of him playing happily with her.  I was glad we could read this together and help him express his mixed feelings about big brotherhood.

It's never dull with Tommy around.  He brings us a lot of joy and laughter, and at times causes us to grow in patience and creative parenting.  :-)
We had a fun family basketball game this past Monday and also played "bump."  Tommy won 2 different times! He certainly puts in the effort and is competitive but not a sore loser when he gets out.  Great combination!

I had the fun experience of going on a "double date" of sorts with Owen and Thomas.  We went to the university basketball game, which ended up being quite a nail-biter.  These two were so much fun to hang out with.  They chatter and ask questions, and just make me happy!  The three of us are soon going to join forces to work on a beaver report for the science fair.  So far I've really enjoyed reading books with O and T about beavers and getting excited about making a fun diorama together.  We love these middles!




No comments:

Post a Comment