I've been wanting to document all the chapter books I've ever read out loud to the boys. I don't know if I can do it, but I want to have a comprehensive list somewhere to help me remember. I figure if I do it here, I can see it, and we can add to it as we go. I hope that looking at the list will help me know where we should go from here.
I'll categorize them according to where we were living, and document who participated in the readings.
Raymond, 40 South 100 East:W and R (they were about 4-5 I think)
Charlotte's Web
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator
Raymond, 67 South 100 East: W,R, O,T (at some point T, not sure which point. I don't think O and T remember these books much though).
Little House in the Big Woods
Little House on the Prairie
2 other Little House books
The Fudge series
Snow Treasure
Number the Stars
Pippi Longstocking--we read two I think
Mrs. Piggle Wiggle--we read 2-3
Indian in the Cupboard--we read the whole series
Soup--we read all the books
Great Brain--we read two
The Hobbit
Chronicles of Narnia--the whole series
Ottis Spofford
Desert Dog
The Black Stallion
The BFG
Witches (we listened to this one)
Boy
Mouse and the Motorcycle
Ralph S. Mouse
The Littles
The Boxcar Children--many of these
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh
A few Magic Treehouse books--these were to get the boys to read them on their own.
The Secret Garden
The Little Princess
Last of the Really Great Wangdoodles
Where the Red Fern Grows
Harry Potter 1
Book of Three
Helen Keller
Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites--can't remember if we read one or two
Island of the Blue Dolphins
Lethbridge
W and R--
Harry Potter 2-7
Banner in the Sky
Candy Bomber chapter book--not Grandpa's, but one about him.
The Bronze Bow
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
Ender's Game
Lord of the Rings trilogy
O and T--
Swiss Family Robinson
Wizard of Oz
Peter Pan
Socks
Henry Huggins
Henry and Ribsy
The Fudge series--3 I think
The Adventures of Edward Tulane
The Boxcar Children--two
Bedknobs and Broomsticks
Heidi
Pollyanna
The Wheel on the School
The Good Master
Narnia--1st four
Everyone--
The One and Only Ivan
Sign of the Beaver
The Tale of Despereaux
The Trumpet of the Swan
The BFG (yes, again!)
Charlotte's Web (again)
On the list to read:
to W and R--Lloyd Alexander series
to O and T--Narnia, Soup books
Thankyou for this list!! I know it was for your records but what a great resource for me. :) We've read some of these but I am excited for some other new ideas....like the soup books...I don't even know what these are!
ReplyDeleteWow! I guess you have been doing something with your time together after all! ;)
ReplyDeleteLove ths Rach! Thank you for sharing this wonderfully impressive list! I'll pull it up too for a reading list resource. Thank you family librarian : ) Do you keep the book you are reading at the time handy so you can read aloud at random times throughout the day? Or is there a designated time to read with mom? I suppose a combination. i can hear your boys begging to l earn what happens next....etc. We are approaching chapter book readings next year. Kent is into "bigger books" and shows a good attention span. I would love to hear your tips for your MUCH success!!
ReplyDeleteThanks! I would love to hear which books you choose too!
ReplyDeleteWe always read at bedtime. Sometimes one chapter, sometimes more. The only time we read during the day was when I was reading Harry Potter to the boys and we were on a really exciting part and they just couldn't wait. :-)