Sunday, September 5, 2010
James the Builder
Last year James and I stood outside in our backyard feeling very overwhelmed. We looked around at a potentially beautiful lot that had not been cared for properly in many years, and which was going to wilderness. We decided to take action. First, we moved our square foot gardens over into the old garden plot which was full of weeds. We covered the weeds (after unsuccessfully trying to dig them out) with black ground cover, then put the boxes on top, then put some red bark around. Phase two was filling in the remainder with sod. Lots of sod was purchased and laid. During this phase we also tried to form borders and make a couple flower beds. Phase three was THE DECK. This phase started last summer and continued through this summer. James planned out the deck using magazines and people as resources, and proceeded to build it. I don't think the pictures below can accurately display the amazing feat this was/is, but I for one am so relieved that it is just about over (there's always room for improvement, right?) and we can really enjoy our backyard now. I'm very amazed at what James has done.












Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You are kidding!! You guys BUILT that??! We have _never_ done a project that big. Never. I mean, even just laying sod is so much work! It looks spectacular! Two tiers on the deck. . . I love it!! And I LOVE your flower beds. I just can't believe you figured all that out! How did you know what to do? How did you get all the tools? We have thought about finishing our basement and it just seems too daunting. And Sam never has one second of free time, it seems. Sigh. I'm sure James gave up a lot of relaxation and free time to do all this work, though. how long did it take? I'm amazed. Just amazed. Beautiful!
ReplyDeletep.s. now I have the song "I am a builder" in my head.
ReplyDeleteWow, it looks like it should be in a magazine. How you will enjoy this yard--a perfect place for 5 little boys.
ReplyDeleteLove you all.
Pictures tell so much don't they! Way to go James-- the praise of men doesn't mean much... but the praise of your wife... now that is something!
ReplyDeleteAww I like what David wrote! Rach It is an impressive feat! While James was building, you were growing a human life now named George. A year you will never forget! Love you!
ReplyDelete